Lone Star Wine Cellars

I was introduced to the Lone Star Wine Cellars at the McKinney Wine Festival last year.  At their booth, I tasted the 2017 Gewurztraminer.  Nice easy summer drinker, harvested from the high plains of Texas, which I found to be slightly sweet.  

After leaving the festival, I walked a few blocks to the tasting room in downtown McKinney.  It's a great facility, with a nice bar, multiple rooms with tables, and occasionally live music.  I sat at the bar and decided on the Flight of the Red Tailed Hawk.  The name is cool, but I really chose it because it was an all-red tasting.  It included the 2015 Malbec, 2008 Merlot, 2013 Shiraz, and the 2014 Cabernet.  Because I had been at the wine festival earlier, I also chose a fruit and cheese tray which was a delicious compliment to the tasting.  The lady behind the bar was very knowledgeable and friendly.  The wines were presented in individual carafes in a small wooden box with one glass.  I loved that.  

Also unique to that tasting room were interactive tablets with history and tasting notes about each wine.  Extremely accessible to the customer, and easy to compare wines you are considering.  The Malbec and Merlot were standouts from the first selections.  The Malbec was full of flavor even though it was aged in a stainless steel tank.  The Merlot had been aged nicely, and had a smoky character to it. 

After that flight, I was treated to a taste of a 2012 Reserve Tempranillo, and a 2010 Meritage.  
The Temp was really nice with prevalent plum character in both aroma and taste.  It was also aged in stainless steel, but then finished in French oak.  The Meritage was the shining star of the day in my opinion.  As a blend of Cabernet, Malbec, and Merlot, it definitely hit the varietals I typically prefer.  Aged 2 years in stainless steel and 22 months in French oak, it has a richness with a long finish.  

Lone Star Wine Cellars offers a plentiful selection of wines, some of which are sure to hit your tasting sweet spot.  It has a polished tasting room, where you can sit comfortably and find the one for you.
Give them a visit next time you are in the area.

Cheers, y'all!


Comments

Popular Posts